Hello beautiful goddess
Self care often gets pushed back to the verrrrry bottom of our to do list, as we prioritise responsibilities, passions and the stresses of daily life. Whilst I will always be a strong advocate for women taking all the time they need to place the pieces back together after a long day, week or year - even a 5 minute self care session can make all the difference in the world.
Today, I'm sharing with you a lovingly put together list of 15 ways you can nourish your soul - in less than 5 minutes!
1. Make yourself a cup of herbal tea, and allow it to become a moving meditation. Slow down your breathing as the kettle boils. Sit somewhere quiet, and rather than focus on your thoughts, concentrate on each sip entering your mouth.
2. Buy yourself a bunch of flowers for once! Choose a colour that makes your heart sing, and place them either on your desk or next to your bedside table at home.
4. Choose a special candle to burn in your home or office. Find one whose aroma and colour really light you up, and burn it when you're feeling less than centred.
5. Go for a quick walk outside in the sunshine. Break up your day and mood by connecting with nature at your local park or beach - bonus points for taking your shoes off!
7. Get up early and watch the sunrise. Or finish work early enough to go and watch the sun set. This is one of my very favourite things to do, and gets me back in touch with what is important.
8. Reach out to a friend you haven't spoken to for a while - make sure it's someone positive who makes you feel good when you chat!
9. Even better, write an old fashioned letter to a loved one. Being such a tech based society, it's always a lovely surprise to receive something personal in the mail.
11. A quick, hot shower can be a great way to wash off any stagnant energy from the body. Make sure that your body wash doesn't contain any SLS' (Sodium Lauryl Sulfates) which are very harmful to the skin. I really love to use Vanessa Megan's delicious blood orange elixir.
12. Another beautiful way to cleanse your body of the old and stuck is by spraying a cleansing mist over yourself. My absolute favourite is the Crystal Clear Mist by Shemana. This can also cleanse the space you're in - you can cleanse your office space first thing when no one is around!
13. Read a chapter from your book. If it feel like a long time since you had the time to read your book under a blanket with a mug of tea, then at least allow yourself to indulge in one chapter during the day - make sure to turn your phone on silent and avoid any interruptions during this mini break.
14. The queen of all yoga poses to relax and soothe the nervous system has to be legs up the wall (Viparita Karani). In this state, your body will be actively digesting anything you have eaten, as well as working to heal and repair your body. Also, hanging out with your legs up the wall is one of the best ways to help drain tension from the legs and feet. 5 minutes is great, 10-15 is better!
15. Plan your next weekend away, road trip, retreat, holiday. Have a good look at your schedule and block out some time to get away from it all. Even just the thought of an upcoming trip helps me to feel brighter and lighter!
What are your favourite ways to nourish your soul? Do you feel a noticeable difference after 5 minutes? I would love to hear from you in the comments below. Please also share this post with any sister who would benefit from some soul reflection on self care.
Thank you so much for reading this week’s Monday Meditation.
In love and gratitude